The Bundaberg Regional Council elections have been declared by the Electoral Commission Queensland and Councillors have been sworn in today, albeit in a different format to the traditional ceremony.
Bundaberg Regional Council CEO Stephen Johnston said COVID-19 guidelines have given the Ceremony a fresh perspective.
“Social distancing is something we’ve never had to consider before, but in light of the coronavirus pandemic, this was a different swearing-in ceremony for Councillors,” Mr Johnston said.
“We conducted individual swearing-in ceremonies for each Councillor, rather than the traditional group Swearing-In Ceremony.”
Mr Johnston said the new format was necessary to ensure the safety of Councillors and Council staff.
“Social distancing is so important in limiting the spread of COVID-19 so it was appropriate that each Councillor be sworn-in individually.
“Going forward, we will be having our Council Meetings in the Civic Centre Supper Room, which has the space to cater for our meetings, in light of the guidelines.”
Bundaberg Regional Councillors
- Mayor Jack Dempsey
- Division 1: Cr Jason Bartels
- Division 2: Cr Bill Trevor OAM
- Division 3: Cr Wayne Honor
- Division 4: Cr Tracey McPhee
- Division 5: Cr Greg Barnes
- Division 6: Cr Tanya McLoughlin
- Division 7: Cr Vince Habermann OAM
- Division 8: Cr Steve Cooper
- Division 9: Cr May Mitchell
- Division 10: Cr John Learmonth
- Council news: New Council to meet on Wednesday