Home News Queensland pandemic restrictions ease Tuesday

Queensland pandemic restrictions ease Tuesday

Coronavirus update
Restrictions will ease in Queensland from 4pm Tuesday, 17 November.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced a further easing of restrictions as Queensland continues its recovery from the pandemic.

Bundaberg Regional Council will review operating arrangements at venues, events and functions in response to the Government's announcement.

From 4pm Tuesday, November 17:

  • Gatherings: Increase gatherings in homes and public spaces from 40 to 50 across Queensland
  • Indoor premises: Increase from one person per four square metres to one person per two square metres (eg restaurants, cafes, pubs, clubs, indoor play areas, museums, art galleries, places of worship, convention centres and parliament house
  • Weddings: Up to 200 people can attend a wedding and all guests can dance
  • Funerals: Up to 200 people can attend a funeral
  • Indoor events: Seated, ticket venues to increase from 50 per cent to 100 per cent (eg theatre, live music, cinemas and indoor sports) Performers can reduce distance from audience from 4m to 2m except choirs which remain at 4m from audience
  • Outdoor events: Increase outdoor events from 1000 to 1500 with a COVID safe checklist (larger events require a COVID safe plan)
  • Open air stadiums: Increase seated capacity from 75 per cent to 100 per cent
  • Outdoor dancing: Outdoor dancing allowed (eg outdoor music festivals).

Bundaberg Region Mayor Jack Dempsey welcomed the easing of restrictions, which he said reflects how well Queensland has managed the coronavirus.

“It's a credit to the Premier and Chief Health Officer that we are in this fortunate position today compared with what's happening elsewhere in the world,” he said.

“Last week I wrote to Dr Young (Chief Health Officer), suggesting that restrictions be eased for funerals and religious worship.

“It seemed contradictory at the time that large crowds were attending markets and rugby matches, but numbers were severely limited at funerals.

“This latest announcement is a sensible response to the current situation. We should all remain vigilant however, continue social distancing where possible and maintain good hygiene.”

Ms Palaszczuk said these were sensible steps back to normality after Queensland recorded 60 days without a locally acquired case.

“This is the result of the hard work of Queenslanders,” she said.

“Other countries are experiencing third waves with increasing numbers of daily cases.

“Queenslanders are able to enjoy our Queensland way of life and we have to keep up the good work.”

The changes will come into effect at 4pm on 17 November 2020.

Minister for Health and Ambulance Services Yvette D’Ath said the pandemic isn’t over so we have to stay vigilant.

“We can’t forget the basics,” the Minister said.

“That means keep up social distancing, stay home if you’re sick and maintain basic hygiene.”

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said the good work of businesses and venues under COVID-19 Safe Plans, such as collecting contact details, complying with occupant density numbers, and providing hand sanitiser, had helped move Queensland to further ease restrictions early.

“Queensland’s COVID Safe plans have worked well to keep our community safe and help keep life as normal as possible,” Dr Young said.

“COVID-safe plans will be reviewed and updated in line with the further easing of restrictions, and government departments will work with their stakeholders to do this.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Recent Comments

CONNECT

27,701FansLike
4,005FollowersFollow
136FollowersFollow
61SubscribersSubscribe
>