Bundaberg's construction industry built on its reputation of being among the best in the Wide Bay as they collected a swag of Master Builders Awards.
Bargara Beach Hotel was named local 2021 Project of the Year, JRZ Homes took home the President’s Award, Innes Park local Stephen Anderson was recognised as the 2021 Rising Star and Murchie Constructions‘ Lachlan Phillips was named Apprentice of the Year.
Kleidon Masterbuilt Homes took out three awards and Master Cabinets Bundaberg won best residential kitchen.
Taking home the accolade in construction for Health Facilities up to $20 million was Murchie Constructions Pty Ltd for Central Medical.
Andrew Murchie said he was very proud of his team and his second company Adina Designed Interiors, which also picked up the Commercial Trade Contractor of the Year for the Bargara Beach Hotel joinery fit out.
Murchie Construction has a long history in the Bundaberg Region after it was started by Andrew’s father John Murchie in 1966.
“We are really happy and proud to be involved in these builds,” Andrew said.
“We pride ourselves on our quality of work.”
Andrew congratulated Lachlan on his Apprentice of the Year award saying he was a valued member of their team.
“Lachlan has had a great attitude the whole way through his apprenticeship,” Andrew said.
“It’s really second to none. And he is a valuable member of our team.”
The 2021 Wide Bay Burnett Master Builders Housing and Construction Awards ceremony returned to a live crowd on Friday, 3 September in Hervey Bay, with local builders and tradies relishing the chance to get back in person and celebrate the abundance of talent and innovation the industry is renowned for.
After a devastating fire swept through the heritage Bargara Beach Hotel, Paynters undertook the design and build of a contemporary new hotel, winning them the local 2021 Project of the Year.
The hotel can now deliver something no other venue in the Wide Bay region has to offer, also earning the Paynters team the Tourism and Leisure Facilities up to $10 million honour.
JRZ Homes rounded out the major winners on the night, taking home the coveted President’s Award and best Individual Home from $250,000 up to $350,000 for their Lavella Rise Project, a Hampton’s-inspired stylish and functional home in Bargara.
The Master Builders Awards judges commented on the home’s incredible value and lifestyle appeal, saying it represented everything your average family could want in a home.
Master Builders Wide Bay Burnett Regional Manager, Ian Langer, congratulated the winners across all 31 categories.
“Our members have truly lived up to this year’s Awards theme, built to rise above, which was inspired by them and their work,” Ian said.
“The projects they’ve delivered during these challenging times are a testament to their skills and resilience.
“The diversity and quality of building work across the Wide Bay, particularly during this time of uncertainty, is testament to the resilience of our local industry.
“2020 was a year of unexpected challenges and hurdles, but our industry took it in their stride and have produced some truly outstanding work.
“From beach bars, medical hubs and state-of-the-art educational facilities to coastal oases and hillside mansions, the Wide Bay Burnett building community came together and smashed it out of the park.
“It doesn’t matter whether they’ve taken an Award home this year or not. Each of our 2021 entrants are a part of the Master Builders family and help cement why we’re so widely trusted and respected.”
Bundaberg Region's major winners in Master Builders Awards
Seaside watering hole takes the cake
Winner of the Master Builder Awards 2021 Wide Bay Burnett Project of the Year – Paynters Pty Ltd for Bargara Beach Hotel
After a devastating fire swept through the heritage Bargara Beach Hotel, Paynters undertook the design and build of a contemporary new hotel.
The pub has been designed as a unique offering for locals and tourists alike. Open decks offer relaxed alfresco dining with ocean views. The beer garden also features an amazing children’s play area.
Hanging ferns, pastel tones and timber features are the standout attributes of the modern new look.
This hotel can now deliver something no other venue in the Wide Bay has to offer.
“The quality of workmanship throughout the hotel is fantastic, and it is evident that the builder has been able to bring additional touches of elegance and functionality into the final project,” the judges said.
“The Bargara Beach Hotel is a very impressive project and the skills of all involved are easy to see.”
JRZ Constructions wins Master Builders Award
Winner of the 2021 Wide Bay Burnett President’s Award – JRZ Constructions Pty Ltd for Lavella Rise Project
This Hamptons-inspired residence boasts a distinctive style and immaculate features.
Designed to make the most of our beautiful coastal climate and sea breezes, this beautiful home offers four spacious bedrooms, two bathrooms, a home office space, media room, and entertaining areas that allow for an enviable lifestyle.
Designed with their client’s lifestyle in mind, the home was created to be functional and practical for everyday living and is truly a home a family would aspire to.
“This house seems like an incredible value and lifestyle package for an affordable family home. This house represents everything that the President’s Award is about. Very desirable for an average family,” the judges said.
“The builder has not skimped on anything with this house, size, finishes or quality. It represents true value for money.”
Individual Home from $750,000 up to $950,000
The team from Nathan Groszmann Construction were delighted to win the Individual Home from $750,000 up to $950,000 award.
“We are extremely proud of this build,” Nathan said.
“It was in the category for individual home $750 000-$950 000, Ian from Master Builders advised us it was a tough category and a well deserved win.
“It is a stunning two storey house utilising the north facing aspect capturing cross breezes.
“When you walk through the front door you are drawn to the height of six metre ceilings and the view of the river.
“Every bedroom has a view of the river.”
All Wide Bay Burnett Master Builders Awards winners
• Health Facilities up to $20 million – Murchie Constructions Pty Ltd for Central Medical (Bundaberg)
• Education Facilities up to $10 million – Evans Built Pty Ltd for Hervey Bay State High School Performing Arts Centre (Hervey Bay)
• Tourism and Leisure Facilities up to $10 million – Paynters Pty Ltd for Bargara Beach Hotel (Bargara)
• Commercial Building up to $5 million – Win Constructions Queensland Pty Ltd for 10 Medical Place (Urraween)
• Community Accommodation for Aged Care and Nursing Homes – TF Woollam & Son Pty Ltd T/A Woollam Constructions for Ozcare – Reflections on the Bay (Kawungan)
• Display Home up to $250,000 – Bright Life Homes Pty Ltd for Agnes Time (Agnes Water)
• Display Home from $250,000 up to $350,000 – Kleidon Masterbuilt Homes Pty Ltd for Aura (Bargara)
• Individual Home up to $250,000 – Kleidon Masterbuilt Homes Pty Ltd for Blue Sea (North Bundaberg)
• Individual Home from $250,000 up to $350,000 – JRZ Constructions Pty Ltd T/A JRZ Homes for Lavella Rise Project (Bargara)
• Individual Home from $350,000 up to $450,000 – Dean Worth Homes Pty Ltd for Peppermint (Nikenbah)
• Individual Home from $450,000 up to $550,000 – CRJ Building Enterprises Pty Ltd for Riverside Retreat (Sharon)
• Individual Home from $550,000 up to $650,000 – JRZ Constructions Pty Ltd T/A JRZ Homes for Liveable Homes Australia SDA (Torquay)
• Individual Home from $650,000 up to $750,000 – N H Homes Pty Ltd or Esplanade Home (Point Vernon)
• Individual Home from $750,000 up to $950,000 – Nathan Groszmann Construction Pty Ltd for Eagle View (Sharon)
• Individual Home from $1.25 million up to $2 million – Bright Life Homes Pty Ltd for Our Place (Agnes Water)
• Home Renovation/Remodelling Project up to $275,000 – Kleidon Masterbuilt Homes Pty Ltd for Lakeview (North Bundaberg)
• Home Renovation/Remodelling Project from $275,000 up to $575,000 – McIntosh Homes (Qld) Pty Ltd for Gaden 1770 (1770/Agnes Water)
• Home Renovation/Remodelling Project from $575,000 up to $1 million – Cam Killen Constructions for Deacons' Place (Granville)
• Best Use of Sloping Sites – Bright Life Homes Pty Ltd for Our Place (Agnes Water)
• Medium Density up to 3 storeys – over 5 Dwellings – Win Constructions Queensland Pty Ltd for Villas on Main Stage 1 (Urraween)
• Excellence in Sustainable Living – Bright Life Homes Pty Ltd for Our Place (Agnes Water)
• Best Residential Bathroom – Vivere Homes Pty Ltd for The Windjammer (River Heads)
• Best Residential Kitchen – Master Cabinets Of Bundaberg Pty Ltd for White Cottage (Bundaberg)
• Best Residential Swimming Pool – Vivere Homes Pty Ltd for The Windjammer (River Heads)
• Apprentice of the Year – Lachlan Phillips from Murchie Constructions Pty Ltd (Burnett Heads)
• Rising Star – Stephen Anderson from S D Anderson Pty Ltd (Innes Park)
• Women in Building – Ingrid Gorissen from Vivere Homes Pty Ltd (Dundowran Beach)
• Commercial Trade Contractor of the Year – Adina Designed Interiors Pty Ltd for Bargara Beach Hotel Joinery Fitout (Bargara)
• President's Award – JRZ Constructions Pty Ltd T/A JRZ Homes for Lavella Rise Project (Bargara)
• Project of the Year – Paynters Pty Ltd for Bargara Beach Hotel (Bargara)
• House of the Year – Bright Life Homes Pty Ltd for Our Place (Agnes Water)