Hoon behaviour — how to let police know


The Queensland Government has published advice online regarding how to report hoon behaviour.

Hooning is the common word for any antisocial behaviour conducted in a motor vehicle.

There's a Hoon Online form where people can submit reports.

Hooning activites include, but are not limited to:

  • Illegal street racing
  • Travelling at high speeds
  • Burnout offences
  • Playing loud music from car stereos
  • Speed boat hooning
  • Drink driving.

Hooning includes any number of traffic offences, such as dangerous driving, careless driving, driving without reasonable consideration for other people, driving in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke, and racing or conducting speed trials on a public road.

Bundaberg Regional Council roads portfolio councillor Bill Trevor said he was sometimes contacted by ratepayers concerned about hoons.

“I let them know that it's a police matter,” he said.

“People should take down the registration details of the offending vehicle, call 134666 or report the matter to a local police station.”

Police say that penalties vary for different hooning offences. For example, driving in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke carries a maximum fine of 20 penalty units ($2611) while the most serious offences, such as careless driving — also known as driving without due care and attention — or street racing, carry a maximum fine of 40 penalty units ($5222) or six months in jail.

In addition, for specific offences classed as hooning — antisocial behaviour in a motor vehicle — police now have the power to impound, immobilise and confiscate the vehicle being driven when the offence was committed.


  1. There is one particular vehicle that always screeches its wheels going around the Gahans Road roundabout. Too quick to get its license plate but it is a light greyish coloured ute. Seems to be a daily event.

Comments are closed.