HomeNewsBushfire support extended for impacted residents

CONNECT

30,657FansLike
4,005FollowersFollow
311FollowersFollow
61SubscribersSubscribe

Bushfire support extended for impacted residents

Bushfire support extended for impacted residents
Residents impacted by bushfires can now access help through the Personal Hardship Assistance Scheme and Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Scheme.

Update: Residents affected by the fire at Goodwood and Kinkuna can access help through a pop-up Recovery Hub on Tuesday, 7 November.

Department of Communities will set up a pop-up Recovery Hub from 10 am to 2 pm at the Childers Neighbourhood Centre – 69 Churchill Street, Childers.

The Recovery Hub will be assisting persons affected by the fires at Goodwood and Kinkuna last week, and also assisting those who may be eligible for personal financial hardship assistance grants and other support needs.

For more information: click here.

Earlier: As Queensland’s bushfire emergency continues, more residents whose homes have been impacted by the bushfires can now access help through the Personal Hardship Assistance Scheme and Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Scheme.

Support is being provided by the Australian and Queensland Governments through the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) and has been extended to residents in Elliot, Goodwood, Kinkuna and North Gregory in the Bundaberg Region.

The Personal Hardship Assistance Scheme provides $180 for individuals and up to $900 for a family of five or more, to cover the costs of essential items such as food, clothing and medicine.

Uninsured residents can also access income-tested grants up to $5,000 per household through the Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Scheme to inspect and reconnect damaged services like electricity, gas and water.

Federal Minister for Emergency Management Murray Watt the support would assist local families impacted by the recent fire.

“We knew that this would be a challenging fire season and we are working together to make sure that we are as prepared as we can be,” Mr Murray said.

“My thoughts remain with people who’ve lost loved ones and homes, and with those continuing to battle the blazes.

I urge people to follow the direction of local authorities and stay safe.

“The support extended to these localities will help people to cover the essentials such as food, clothing and medicine in the immediate aftermath of the fires, as well as reconnect electricity, gas and water when returning to their homes.”

Deputy Premier Steven Miles said extending this assistance to impacted localities in four local government areas would help residents whose properties have been damaged by bushfires.

“Once again I would like to thank our emergency services heroes who have battled these fires for the past two weeks,” he said.

“All levels of government, including the local councils of Bundaberg, Gladstone, Southern Downs and Western Downs, state and federal are working together to support the recovery of communities impacted by bushfires.”

If you are suffering hardship or require emotional support as a result of the fires, assistance is available. Call the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 or apply online at: www.qld.gov.au/DisasterHelp


For more information on disaster assistance, eligibility and how to apply http://www.qld.gov.au/disasterhelp.

To learn more about DRFA support head to the Queensland Reconstruction Authority website.

Assistance available

  • Individuals from these localities can now apply for $180 in emergency assistance, with up to $900 available for a family of five or more.
  • These Personal Hardship Assistance grants are available to cover the costs of essential items like food, clothing and medicine.
  • Uninsured residents can also access income-tested grants up to $5,000 per household through the Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Scheme to inspect and reconnect damaged services like electricity, gas and water.

LATEST NEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

>