The new world-class ex-HMAS Tobruk dive site will be ready for divers to start exploring on Monday, February 25.
Bundaberg Region Mayor Jack Dempsey welcomed today's announcement by Environment Minister Leeanne Enoch.
Mayor Dempsey said it was good to get a starting date before the end of the summer season.
“The wreck has huge potential for the development of dive tourism, which will benefit local operators and the broader regional economy,” he said.
“I thank the Queensland Government for their support.”
Intending divers require a permit, which can be booked online at Bundaberg Tourism.
Ms Enoch said hundreds of people were already lined-up to explore the new dive site.
“The former Royal Australian Navy ship is about to become a major tourist drawcard for the Wide Bay region,” Ms Enoch said.
“The wreck is expected to generate about $1.7 million for the local economy annually and support between 20 and 30 jobs in the region.
“Following the scuttling last year, the ship has been transformed into a magnificent marine ecosystem, providing homes and shelter for hundreds of species of fish, including grouper, trevally and wrasse along with molluscs, hard corals and various species of ray.”
Since the scuttling, preparation work has been completed to cut 10 additional holes into the ship, to help provide natural light and improve access for divers, and some areas were sealed off for safety reasons.
Mayor Dempsey said the dive site added to the Bundaberg Region's world-class attractions.
“The availability of the ex-HMAS Tobruk as a wreck-dive experience supports other attractions including our proximity to the Great Barrier Reef and the iconic Mon Repos Turtle Rookery,” he said.
“It is clear that ex-HMAS Tobruk presents as a unique and extremely attractive dive site and brings with it possibilities to market our region to the world.”
For more information and to take a virtual tour of the vessel, visit https://www.qld.gov.au/exhmastobruk.