With summer is just days away, which means watermelon season is in full swing across the Bundaberg Region, try this flavoursome watermelon sorbet.
Watermelon is packed with water and nutrients, contains very few calories, and is very refreshing.
These delicious, juicy fruit are a real treat to grow in the garden and thrive in the long, hot Bundaberg summers.
Watermelon sorbet ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 cups watermelon
- Cook the sugar, water and lemon juice together, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and chill.
- Cut up the watermelon and remove all seeds.
- Puree in a blender or food processor.
- Stir into chilled syrup.
- Pour into an airtight container, cover and place in the freezer for 4-5 hours or until almost set.
- Roughly break up the sorbet with a metal spoon and transfer to the bowl of a food processor. Process briefly until sorbet is smooth and has a soft, icy texture.
- Return sorbet to container and place in the freezer for a further 4 hours or until firm.
- Remove from the freezer and repeat step 4.
- Return sorbet to the container and place in the freezer for a further 5 hours or until firm.
- Last week's recipe: Blueberry muffins glazed with lemon icing