A multi-million dollar Road Safety Funding investment is driving upgrades for key roads throughout the region.
A joint initiative of the Federal and State Governments, the safety upgrades include intersection upgrades and road widening in addition to other minor safety works.
Among the list, which spans across the Flynn and Hinkler electorates, is the Miriam Vale Road, Monduran Road and Yandaran Road intersection upgrade.
Mayor Jack Dempsey said it was pleasing to see the funds committed to making the region’s roads safer for motorists but more needs to be done.
“Council has been advocating for upgrades to many of these state-controlled roads for a number of years and this funding will certainly contribute to making these roads safer,” Mayor Dempsey said.
“We know that traffic is increasing on many of these roads which are significant access points and are part of many people’s daily commute.
“As traffic numbers grow so too should the funding allocated to these important roads.
“It is great to see a number of these projects come to fruition but more needs to be done to ensure these roads meet the needs of our current and future population.”
Divisional representative Cr Jason Bartels said the Miriam Vale, Monduran and Yandaran Roads upgrade would make the intersection safer and address its accident history.
“Visibility when entering and crossing this intersection is quite poor,” Cr Bartels said.
“I’m sure motorists who frequent this route will welcome any upgrades that increase safety and visibility.”
Bundaberg Region Road Safety
Funding projects include:
- Bargara Road and Bunda Street intersection – Right turn upgrade
- Bundaberg – Port Road and Pyefinch Boulevard and Faldt Steet – Right turn upgrade
- Isis Highway and Enterprise Street intersection – Upgrade intersection
- Bundaberg – Goodwood Road – Right turn widening at Leonardis Road, New Farm Road and Fieldings Road
- Miriam Vale Road – Creation of traversable roadsides through earthworks, extension of minor culverts, clear zone clearing and installation of guardrail
- Miriam Vale, Monduran and Yandaran Roads – Intersection upgrade to staggered T
- Goodwood Road – BAR widening in three locations
- Moore Park Road – Creation of traversable roadsides through earthworks, extension of minor culverts, clear zone clearing and installation of guardrail
- Other news: Washpool Creek restoration gets funding boost