For almost a decade Tasty Street Food has been treating locals to delicious cuisine from around the world and with an abundance of Bundaberg scallops right now they share their one of their signature recipes.
Tasty Street Food owners Darren and Jolene Wilmott believe that great food starts with fresh, local ingredients and they said that the Bundaberg Region not only has a richness of fruit and vegetables, but also top shelf seafood, including Bundaberg scallops, right on its doorstep.
This week Darren has been elbow-deep shucking locally caught scallops as he will be cooking up a storm with his highly sought-after pork belly and scallop tacos, that are available from their Tasty at Bargara food van at the Basin in Bargara this weekend.
“There are plenty of scallops around at the moment, I know guys who are normally out trawling prawns who are picking up scallops before the season ends,” Darren said.
Darren said his pork belly and scallop tacos would have people’s taste buds dancing with the combination of sour, sweet and salty all wrapped in a soft tortilla that is toasted to bring out the umami.
“Some people find the combination on pork and scallops strange, but once they try it they are hooked,” he said.
“The texture is nice and soft, bouncy to touch. And what’s better than meat and seafood off the barbecue!”
Tasty Street Food pork belly and scallop taco
- Pork belly
- Fresh scallops
- Coleslaw mix: Cabbage, carrots, red onion, celery
Daz’s XO sauce:
- 1 tspn XO sauce paste
- 1 tspn oyster sauce
- 1 tspn hoisin
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black vinegar
- 100ml water
- Coriander, shallots to garnish
- Cook pork belly and let rest. Slice into long strips approximately 1cm thick and refrigerate (this can be prepped the day before).
- Paper towel dry scallops and set aside in fridge.
- Slice coleslaw ingredients and dress with Kewpie mayonnaise.
- Mix Daz’s XO Sauce ingredients together in preparation.
- In a hot pan lightly toast the tortilla both sides and remove, add the coleslaw to the tortilla.
- In the pan add a dash of olive oil and barbecue the sliced pork belly, add the XO sauce mix and when sizzling remove from pan and rest in sauce.
- Sear scallops for 20 seconds each side.
- Place pork belly and scallop onto the coleslaw and garnish with kewpie mayo, chopped coriander and shallots.
The best scallops in the world
According to Great Barrier Reef Seafoods the Saucer Scallops, or Queensland Scallops, are strong with a rich flavour and a medium to firm texture.
The edible portion of the scallop is the white muscle that opens and closes the two shells and is called the nut. The reproductive glands known as coral, or row, and is also edible.
Queensland Saucer Scallops are wildly recognised as the best scallops in the world.
Saucer scallops are found at depths of 20-100m from Bowen south to northern New South Wales and they are abundant around Bundaberg and Yeppoon.
- Other news: AgProspects program open to enter farm jobs