This recipe for corned beef or pickled pork was submitted by local resident Chris Forgan, who said the tasty meat made a great meal or was delicious on sandwiches!
- Either pickled pork or corned beef roast (from your local supermarket)
- 1 whole onion
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mild mustard (or wholegrain)
- 3 tablespoons minced or crushed garlic
- 1 packet of béchamel sauce
- vegetables to serve
- Remove meat from bag, rinse off the excess brine and place in a suitable pot.
- Add 1 cup of white vinegar, a good tablespoon of mild mustard (whole grain mustard is nice too), 3 good teaspoons minced or crushed garlic, a whole onion peeled (I like onion so I add 2)
- Top with water until meat is covered and bring to a simmer (follow the time guide on the bag)
- When meat is 30 minutes off being done, add half dozen washed potatoes to cook with the meat.
- When finished cooking remove meat, spuds and onion.
- Dice onion
- Cook packet béchamel (white sauce) and stir in the onion
- Serve thick slices of meat with sliced potato and sauce.
More recipes: Barritt’s Butchery Apricot-glazed lamb loin chops