If you have a bit of a sweet tooth, you are sure to enjoy this delicious recipe for croissant bread and butter pudding by Bundaberg Sugar.
Croissant bread and butter pudding serves eight people.
- butter, for greasing
- 8 large day-old croissants
- 2/3 cup Nutella spread
- 300ml thickened cream
- 200ml milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra for topping
- 1/3 cup Frangelico liqueur
- 100g dark cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. Grease a 12 cup capacity, 6cm deep baking dish with butter.
2. Split croissants horizontally. Spread each bottom half with one tablespoon of Nutella and top with remaining croissant halves. Cut each into four pieces. Place in a single layer onto the base of the prepared dish
3. Combine cream, milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan and heat until just starting to simmer. Do not boil.
4. Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar together until pale (about one minute). With the mixer on a slow speed, slowly pour hot cream mixture onto the egg mixture. Add frangelico and stir to combine.
5. Pour custard over croissants. Set aside for 20 minutes for croissants to absorb custard. Scatter chocolate over the top of pudding, then sprinkle with the extra two tablespoons sugar.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden and pudding is just set. Remove from oven and allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Serve with ice cream and enjoy your croissant bread and butter pudding!
Other recipes: Homemade red chilli and garlic sauce