This traditional kumquat marmalade recipe has been passed on to the Serendipity on Fairymead produce swap stall for all to enjoy.
- 1.6kg of kumquats (some can be less than fully ripe)
- Juice of two lemons
- 3.6mls of water
- 2.5kg of sugar
- Wash fruit and cut off green stalk ends and skim off any big pips.
- Cut in halves and put through kitchen whizz.
- Boil for up to two hours with lid off until fruit is soft.
- Allow some moisture to boil off.
- Take off heat.
- Add a generous amount of sugar (a little more than 2.5kg) and one packet of Jamsetta.
- Slowly heat jam, making sure all the sugar is dissolved before turning up heat.
- Wash and dry in oven 10 glass jars with lids.
- Beware of turning up heat too fast, marmalade can boil over.
- Test for setting- it can take anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours.
- Pot while hot. Either put lids on immediately or allow to cool beyond the point where there will be condensation on the inside of the lids.
Other recipes: Croissant bread and butter pudding