Strong population growth and the growing need for services has supported new business growth in the Bundaberg Region.
According to recent data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics Business Register (ABSR) the number of businesses in Bundaberg has jumped from 6,456 in June 2018 to 7,201 in June 2023.
Of these businesses:
– 55.4 percent recorded a turnover of up to $200,000
– 41.2 percent recorded a turnover of between $200,000 to $5 million
– 1.7 per cent recorded a turnover of $5 to $10 million.
– 1.7 per cent recorded a turnover of $10 million or more.
Not surprisingly, the influx of new registered businesses has aligned with strong population growth and the growing need to service the new households.
Inward migration to Bundaberg from the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Logan has been particularly strong as has migration from Western Sydney, Geelong and the Central Coast of New South Wales.
Likewise, the Bundaberg Region is attracting a record number of skilled professionals keen to capitalise on the diverse employment and lifestyle options the region has to offer.
In fact, the region recorded a 16 per cent increase in jobs growth for the five years to 2021.
Reflective of these trends, Bundaberg is home to over 102,000 persons and is one of the fastest growing regions outside of South-East Queensland.
Furthermore, Bundaberg’s economy was valued at $5.1 billion and recorded the second fastest economic growth rates in Queensland at 7.1 per cent.
In fact, testament to the diversity, stability and resilience of the economy, Bundaberg was the third fastest regional economy in Australia to recover from COVID shutdowns.
The Bundaberg Region is home to some of the most innovative businesses in Queensland servicing the professional services, health and aged care, retail, education, tourism, construction, agriculture, and manufacturing sectors.
Additionally, Bundaberg has seen the emergence of new industry sectors such as Ag Tech, Renewable Energy and Biofutures which will provide businesses with the opportunity for diversification, growth and long-term sustainability.
Bundaberg Region Council offers a range of services to support local businesses including:
- Planning and development support via the opportunity to attend pre lodgement meetings.
- Members of the Small Business Friendly Program
- Bundaberg Regional Council Jobs Commitment Program
- Bundaberg Eco Certification
- Bundaberg Ecobiz
- Regulatory and Compliance Support
- Doing business with Council workshops
Additionally, Council’s Strategic Projects and Economic Development team can support businesses through a suite of services including:
- Solution brokering – government introductions and navigation
- Matchmaking – industry support and alignment with commercial opportunities
- Business networking opportunities
- Assistance and direction regarding Council infrastructure incentives and planning matters
A good starting point for all new businesses in the region is the Invest Bundaberg website where information can be found on the latest economic and demographic statistics along with some of the major projects Council is developing which will help further cement the region as Australia’s best regional community.
For further information on how Council can support your business please contact 1300 883 699.
- Other news: Council grants support community groups