Looking for a new way to use sweet potatoes? Check out these sweet potato hotdogs from Elke and Russel Crystal, courtesy of Bundaberg Tourism.
The local sweet potato farmers are based in Sharon and said the recipe is a favourite with their family.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 4 pork sausages
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 rashes of bacon
- Grated cheese
- Mustard or aioli
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (if you don’t have an oven, you can microwave until tender in a small water bath). Wash sweet potatoes if necessary.
- Using your hands rub olive oil all over the potatoes until well-greased.
- Place on a lined baking tray and bake anywhere between 30 minutes to one hour depending on the potatoes size.
- Test by inserting a fork or skewer and ensuring it is soft the whole way through.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frypan and cook the sausages, turning frequently over a medium heat until browned and cooked.
- Fry your onion and bacon together and heat the sauerkraut in a small pan to heat through and grate the cheese.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through, halve lengthways and add your toppings – sausage, onion and bacon, sauerkraut and sauces as desired.
Special tips – you can make this vegetarian or vegan by removing the meat and making some mexibeans instead or just use fresh produce such as tomato, capsicum, herbs, avocado and sour cream.
Other stories: Recipe: Chocolate covered strawberries