Bundaberg Region residents can enjoy a sustainable celebration this holiday season by incorporating a few impactful tips:
The festive season is well known for an increase in waste, here are a few tips to help you celebrate sustainably:
- Opt for eco-friendly decorations made from recycled materials.
- Plan a sustainable menu with locally sourced and seasonal ingredients.
- Encourage guests to bring reusable containers for leftovers to minimise food waste.
Embrace the 3Rs – Reduce, reuse, recycle
There are many ways to embrace the 3Rs. Here are a few you can implement this summer:
- Reduce energy consumption by cleaning air conditioner filters and turning off appliances.
- Reuse household items creatively. You can check out Council's 30 Day Recycling Challenge for inspiration.
- Recycle right by using the Recycle Mate app for guidance specific to the region.
- Choose sustainable gift-wrapping options and reusable gift bags.
Between October and April the Bundaberg Region coastline becomes home to the largest concentration of nesting marine turtles on the eastern Australian mainland. During this time, help reduce urban glow by:
- Switching off unnecessary lights after 7.30 pm.
- Closing curtains or blinds.
- When driving, avoiding using high beam near beaches where possible.
- Only using a small torch on the beach at night.
- Use energy-efficient lighting options for festive decorations.
Tread lightly at the beach
Summer is a great time to be at the beach. It is important to tread lightly around sand dunes, respecting the nesting grounds of turtles. Here are some tips to tread lightly:
- Don’t dig or play around the sand dunes.
- Set up your beach spot away from sensitive areas to preserve natural habitats.
- Opt for reusable and recyclable beach gear to reduce waste.
- If you spot turtle hatchlings emerging, do not interfere. Admire them from afar and allow them to make their journey unhindered.
Get involved in eco-friendly initiatives
There are many eco-friendly initiatives around the region. Here are some you can partake in:
- Turtle Hour
- Milbi Festival
- One Million Trees
- Tangaroa Blue Beach Clean Ups
- Volunteer with Mon Repos or Sea Turtle Alliance
Find out more about turtle awareness and sustainability in our region on the Discover Bundaberg website.